2019년 9월 8일 일요일

The art of Mothing


Whoosh!

A moth flies right beside my ear. I am standing at the forest edge, waiting for more moths to fly to metal-halide lamp which is in the camping mosquito tent. I take out my camera, and using a bright flash, takes photograph continuously. After 3 hours, my wrist begins to ache, my eyes are tired because of the bright light, but I am happy enough with 300+moth photos.

                      Mothing in school, I am in the right corner of the photo

What am I doing? It’s ‘mothing’, a method which uses a bright light in order to gather nocturnal insects. Despite the time which I started this method is very recent, I always wanted to have this type of experience since I first got interest in moths. Last year, when one KMLA alumnus taught me various moth taxon and introduced how to collect moths, I was eager to figure out what species of moths are living in our school area.

I began with taking photos of moths which came inside of the dorm building during the night. At first, everything was new. Although I took various moths, I didn’t know how to identify them and what to do with the identified ones. At first, if I have a photo of a white moth with black, circular markings I would go on internet and type ‘moth white black dot’ and search on the images until I find the same image of the moth which I have. That method was a time-consuming and inefficient job, but it helped me to get a glimpse of the moths. During winter vacation I visited local library and borrowed books such as ‘Colored guidebook to moth of Korea’ and read through the books. I read those books over and over, when I had spare time.  

The good thing about the guidebooks is that it helped me to identify the moth photos which I have, and also made me to recognize various moths by memorization of their body patterns. So, this year when I see some moth, it was possible to assume the moth’s name before searching the books. I was beginning to understand, and becoming familiar with the moths.

When there was ordering supplies for the school summer camp(our school have a camp for elementary/middle school kids), I asked managing teacher whether I could buy supplies for mothing. With the promise of participating as Teaching Assistant for the school summer camp, I ordered the supplies (of course the supplies are school’s).  

I performed some experimental mothing before the school camp started. When the sky turned red to purple to black, the metal-halide lamp began to light up. Several moths came, and I was pretty satisfied with the colorful patterns of the moths. When I picked up my camera, some more came. I tried to photograph the ones which are present on the mothing equipment. I focused on the moths which are in front of me, and turned my eyes around. Already dozen more was flying in, and when I finished photographing them, couple hundred was sitting on the device! It was a endless work, just like rock of Sisyphus, but more exciting version.


                         Mothing with elementary/middle school students



During school camp, I was in charge of showing kids about the nocturnal insect living nearby. I explained about the names of the moth, their behavior and helped them to get a brief interest to the nature and provided a new way to look into nature. It was a thrilling experience, kids had fun and I thought that teaching is also fun, almost equivalent to studying alone. That’s when I felt that I want to become a professor someday, devoting my interest and passion to nature to my own happiness, and also teaching others about what I am good at.


 Though mothing is a unique experience, I have learned and felt a lot during studying moths. When I'm going through hard times, I always think of mothing and it gives me excitement and a bit of happiness. 

                                  Beautiful Agathia carissima moth.

댓글 1개:

  1. Excellent post. Interesting and great pics. Save this for college essays as I seem come potential here. Even though the purpose is straight forward and you aren't trying to get into college, what if you were? How could we deepen this to give some subtext or metaphor? Are moths similar to people? Do you know or admire someone who is similar to Agathia carssima? Why are moths attracted to light? If the light is gone, how long does it take the moths to disperse? Whats it like having all these little beings flutter around you? Personally I would find it disgusting as I've always been bothered by erratic insects. All in all - lots of good material here in a first draft that could be a great college essay.

    답글삭제

The second bakery attack by Murakami Haruki

 The story begins with the couple waking up in the middle of the night, both feeling immense hunger. They try to satisfy the hunger with ...