2019년 9월 29일 일요일

Sleep addiction

I wake up. I look at my watch.  It displays 8:30.  I sleep again.
I wake up. I look at my watch.  It displays 11:30. I sleep again.
I wake up. I look at my watch.  It displays 14:30. I climb down my bunk bed, frowning and feeling ashamed. 

 This sometimes happens to me in weekends, during the time which I go through harsh times. Knowing that I have numerous things to do, I force myself to 'forget' those things by diving deeper into sleep, therefore ignoring the real world. But, at the moment when I wake up, my feelings become instantly low and depressed, and stressful, because I realize that I have to do a lot of things. But since I had slept for over 12 hours, the time which I can focus on my homework is limited, and because the time is tight, I couldn't do my hobby either. If this phenomenon continues, my quality of life will drop because I will not succeed academically, and also I wouldn't have time to focus on things which I want to do. 

 I think sleeping in this case, is similar to computer games and drug addiction. The vicious cycle which these addictions have is that, at the instance of doing that activity will help to forget the hard things in the reality. But the instance of stopping it, the reality floods in. Therefore, to forget the hard reality, the individual continues to do the activity, which will eventually make the reality harsher.

 I see similar kind of examples from my friends and roommates. They watch Youtube, log on to Facebook, look Naver 'webtoons' during exam preparation times. And they complain about they had not prepared for exam after they get the scores.

To overcome this vicious cycle, the individual has to face the reality and force through it. However, the reality is often very hard to overcome and if the individual doesn't have much determination, he/she will return to the vicious cycle again.  But I have to remember that it is the only way that I can get out of this cycle. Although it can be hard both mentally and physically, I have to go through the current situation with determination. 

댓글 1개:

  1. Excellent post. I like the intro. Good structure and parallelism. In terms of addiction, be thankful you are addicted to something productive and rewarding - nature. And even if it can be combined with YouTube and Instagram (have you checked out "nature is metal" ?) - it is rarely time wasted. Don't be ashamed of sleeping too much as a KMLA student. The weekend is essential for recharge.

    답글삭제

The second bakery attack by Murakami Haruki

 The story begins with the couple waking up in the middle of the night, both feeling immense hunger. They try to satisfy the hunger with ...